Monday, July 9, 2007

July 3/4 complete

I've got about an inch and 3/4 to go before I finish my July journal page. I cannot find our digital camera either. So I have no photos yet.

So far, I am mostly loving the piece. I'm not sure about the background, I fought myself over it yesterday. I was going to have the beads run vertically to offset the horizontal foreground but I hated how that looked so I ripped it out. Seeing that I have this band of light blue with green accents at the top (brick stitch running horizonally) I might use that as a band at the top and change the brick stitch to vertical for the rest of it in a teal color.

Decisions decisions.

July 11th: I'm farther along than the title suggests, I couldn't find my camera for a few days (really, I still love my 15 1/2 yr old daughter who said she didn't know where it was but it turned out she took it and left it in the trunk of the car!). I had to keep beading so it's still a progression pic just farther along.

Here it is, a very tight piece. I'm probably not going to keep the band at the top, I was going to make a wallpaper type background but it so distracts from the teacup (and the contents that will eventually be added) that I made the background more flat. There is some dimension to this piece, the cup portion is slightly stuffed with batting. I have to build up the front gold edge so it matches the height of the front of the teacup. It looks best from about 6 ft away where the dimension looks pretty good. I just took a look at the post and you can't see the dimension, so note to myself: get pic that shows the dimension when the thing is complete. (isn't it awful that I have to post myself notes? Otherwise I'll forget!)



All of it is glass seedbeads in size 11, 12, and 15. I used brick for the teacup and wallpaper and backstitch for the tabletop. The finished beaded size will be 4 inches square.

5 comments:

Tally said...

Interesting piece!
Question from a newbie: Did you work the cup in brick stich seperately and than sewed it on?
Thanks
:-Tally-:

KV said...

This is so charming! And I understand your preference for a particular beading stitch. It has taken me quite a while to stretch myself, too.


Kathy V in NM

vivage said...

Tally,
Nope, brick is easy to start on fabric - the gold front rim is backstitch and then I just began bricking downwards. Each row is sewn down to the fabric at the end of the row. I completed the cup first, then did the tabletop.

Kathy,
I really do prefer brick, the look and feel of it. I used to do all backstitch but brick looks so clean to me. Now, to get back to more texture! A good challenge for me.

Lois2037 said...

I'm so glad you didn't wait until September. Your work is beautiful.

vivage said...

:-) Thanks Lois!